Sunday, February 18, 2007

Jaden's first stiches

Before:
Don't be afraid of the pictures you are about to see.

Here's what happened:

We were just about to leave to go to a friend's house for a Baby Party. I turned around about to get the kids and get them in the car. I see Jaden fall forward, her back and head arch back because her head stops on the shelf of the entertainment center. There's a pause of no crying but I ran forward none the less. I pick her up to turn her around and at the same time she starts to cry. All I see is white. Okay, white inside a HUGE gash above her right eye. She had a cute about 1.5 inches long and about 1 centimeter deep. I yelled for Steve and he casually walked in expecting that I was just fed up with the kids running around and I just needed his support in parenting. Well, one look at Jaden's head and he snatched her immediately out of my arms and ran her into the bathroom. I grabbed a towel and an ice pack, but knew ice was not what she needed. She needed stitched - no question about it.

I called my mom and asked where she was and she was at her house. We got the kids into the car - Steve sat next to Jaden to hold the compress to her head to stop the bleeding. We raced down to Mom's house and met her almost half way. I handed Duquan off to her and took off for Urgent Care.

When we got to Urgent Care there were a couple of people in front of us. Reception told the first person it was about an hour wait and the person in front of us turned around and walked out the door rolling their eyes - I guess they didn't want to wait. When it was our turn the receptionist took one look at Jaden's head and pointed to the door to come in to the back. I guess we moved to the front of the line.

Jaden was not a happy camper and was not talking, but she wasn't doing anything to cause worry for a CAT scan. As a matter of fact, when Steve and I were trying to keep her awake, Steve was tapping on her foot. I guess she didn't like that because she moved her foot up so that he couldn't reach. We laughed - she still had her little 'tude. As soon as some topical Lidocaine was put on it she was in a much better mood - she even smiled.

Well, it was time for the stitches and of course they have to do a few shots of Lidocaine into and around the cut. For the first 5 or 6 shots she was fine - no crying. She actually was worrying the doctor a little bit. But then that doctor must have hit a nerve because she all of a sudden screamed at the top of her lungs. Steve and I held her down while the doctor finished up with 5 or 6 more shots. Then she got a break and I held her to calm her down. Boy, she did NOT want to lay back down and as soon as that doctor started walking towards her again, she started freaking out. I was able to calm her down ("Hush Little Baby" is her mantra) and she actually began to fall asleep. The doctor had said might as well let her sleep while he works on the stitches.

I sat in a chair next to her head and Steve held her body (she was wrapped in a blanket so that if she tried flinging her arms or legs, we could prevent her from going to her eye). A surgery drape was placed over Jaden's and my head (so that if she woke up she would at least see me) while the doctor stitched her up.

Four stitches inside and eight stitches outside - 12 stitched total.

When it was all over she was pretty much back to her old self. She was sore that night and we kept her with us to sleep. See, she usually puts herself to sleep by curling up into a ball in the prone position (on her stomach) and rocks on her head. Well, she can't do that right now. We also didn't want her to play with her stitches either (which she might do while trying to fall asleep).

So, she's doing just fine. And she's pretty much back to her old self. She even used the potty a few times today (YEAH)! We took these pictures today and they look worse then they are. It's just too funny to not post though. I wish we got a picture of that gash though. Then we would have a before and after. Moral of the story: Keep a camera or your camera phone close by wherever you go and catch those moments. AND just have your kids where helmets no matter where they go or what they do. Good grief.

After:

No comments: