Wow, what a week. And what a HOT weekend. I wanted to post pictures of the kids to demonstrate just how hot it was, but I wouldn't want to be reported. Both kids were spread-eagled in just their underwear fast asleep in bed last night. It was hilarious.



On the first day of school, I brought her to class. At first she was velcro again, but as soon as she saw Jacqueline (a girl that was at her preschool with her), all fears were forgotten and she was ready for me to leave. 



So, this last week was the kids' first week of school. Steven was so excited for them to go back. I was sent a cartoon from a friend last week (just place Steven in place of the mom since he's the one home during the day).

Jaden's Kindergarten teacher is Mrs. Chapman. I've done her yearbook pages for the past two years. Her main theme in class is what it means to have "a heart of gold". She's perfect for Jaden. I really think Jaden will have a lot of fun. I think it was a little scary for her at first.
The Friday before, they had a Kindergarten orientation for all the kids and parents. Kind of a way for the kids to know where their class was with their parents there. Jaden was excited at first, but as soon as we walked in her fingers were in her mouth and she was like velcro on my hip. It took the mention of "ice cream" (her magic word) for her to actually go and play a little.
On the first day of school, I brought her to class. At first she was velcro again, but as soon as she saw Jacqueline (a girl that was at her preschool with her), all fears were forgotten and she was ready for me to leave.
Duquan's 4th grade teacher is Mrs. Waller (my 3rd garde teacher when I went to Quail Hollow). She still does the Marble Jar (which I totally remember and started laughing when I read it in the newsletter). Steven and I are both excited that Duquan has her. It sounds like he's going to have quite a bit of homework. Mrs. Waller has a system in place to ensure that the kids turn their homework in on time (and consequences if they don't). We love it. 4th grade is a whole new ball game. It's time for regular letter grades now. They take notes in class, have 1.5 hours of homework each night (which is now part of their grades), book reports every month. It's just so exciting! He now gets to learn how to time manage between school work and sports. We sat down with him and explained that in our family, we expect to see A's and B's on report cards. No C's. If there are C's on a report card, that means extra activities get cut. Oh, I love this stage. Mu-wa-ha-ha-ha! (evil laugh)
On the second day of school, Jaden joined her brother on the school bus in the morning for the first time. At the bus stop there was a Duquan, Jaden, a girl Duquan's age (who happens to be our new neighbor and happens to be in Duquan's class), and another Kidergartener. When the bus arrived, all the kids were just frozen, like they weren't sure what to do. Duquan stepped straight forward (almost like he didn't understand why the other kids were just standing there), dragging his sister behind him, and got on the bus. The next day, it was Jaden who stepped forward first and she was calling for her brother to hurry and take her hand. They are both loving school and loving their new routines in the morning: 1) Wake up and wash your face and hands. 2) Eat breakfast (Duquan, put clean dishes away). 3) Make lunches (just snack for Jaden). 4) Brush teeth. 5) Get dressed.
It's been a good week. We'll see how long the routine lasts before having to remind the kids again. Jaden was almost doing the routine through the weekend. Had to remind her what "Saturday" means.
1 comment:
Hey Jaden - Come over here...I have some ICE CREAM!!! ;)
Aunt Kat
Post a Comment